Sorry for the hiatus y'all. I've been working overtime at my big girl job, and like many Americans, I've had a rough couple of months. If you are American and having a rough time, I want you to know I'm here for you. I'm not able to respond to every comment or note I receive, but I read every single one, and some multiple times. I appreciate you guys. Thank you for enjoying this pus-filled pocket of the Internet with me.
If you aren't American, but are having a rough time, I'm here for you also. I know America is not the center of the universe. I also know that things can suck in all kinds of creative ways. I'm a big-time believer that the balance between the serious and the frivolous is what keeps us sane, and I hope I can help you with some of that frivolity.
If you aren't having a rough time and just get to the damned review already ok, I'm here for you as well. I had some feelings stuck in my throat and I needed to hack them up. Thank you for your patience.
- Andalou Naturals Clementine + C Illuminating Toner (Aloe Barbadensis Juice, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Lauric Acid, Fruit Stem Cells (Malus Domestica, Solar Vitis) and BioActive 8 Berry Complex, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Citrus Clementina (Clementine) and Cucumis Melo (Melon) Extracts, Glycolic Acid, Aspalathus Linearis (Rooibos), Hibiscus Rosa-Sinensis and Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Extracts, Phenethyl Alcohol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) and Cymbopogon Martini (Palmarosa) Oils)
- Tretinoin 0.05% cream (this trial was concurrent with the 6mo Retin-A trial)
- Jojoba Oil / Tea Tree Oil
- Buy the toner after debating whether you should for approximately 30 minutes while sitting on the floor of a Nugget Market in Woodland, CA.
- Sit there so long that someone that works there comes over to talk to you.
- Convince yourself that the worker thinks you are going to steal something.
- Someday I will be accused of stealing something and I'm gonna cry in front of strangers.
- Buy the toner. I was never gonna steal this I swear I'm just indecisive ma'am.
- Let the toner sit in its little box on your bookshelf for at least a year.
- Skip over the toner for louder, flashier trials, like fruit acids and face washes that look like boogers.
- I'm so sorry toner. I'm going to use you some day I promise.
- God don't look at me like that. I know you might expire.
- Finally try the toner.
- In the morning.
- I don't wash my face in the morning, so this will be like a morning face rub I guess.
- Spray the toner on a facial cotton a couple of times. (these are my favorite)
- Apply toner all over your face.
- Revel in your ability to very slowly get shit done.
I decided to try the Andalou Naturals Toner in particular because it has vitamin C in it. Vitamin C is one of those no-BS ingredients in that it is actually supposed to help with things like hyper-pigmentation and uneven skin tone. This toner also has a teensy bit of glycolic acid in it, but not so much that it would cause problems when used in conjunction with the Retin-A I was testing. It has an aloe base, which is aces — aloe-based means moisture-based and is the opposite of alcohol-based, aka the-devil-based.
The toner also has a bunch of other froo-froo-s in it, like a plethora of tea-ingredients and fancy sounding stuff like "fruit stem cells" and "BioActive" whosa-whatsits, but I don't think they're actually gonna do much other than add to the scent of the product. Actually, the teas probably provide a little antioxidant punch, so don't listen to me guys I'm a wildcard you can't tame me.
Other first impression: this stuff smells delicious. It's probably the best smelling product I've tried since I started The Acne Experiment. If you are partial to citrus, you are going to love this shit.
As for results, I wasn't expecting miracles because, well, it's a toner. Toners aren't meant to treat acne, and if they are, they probably aren't toners (but rather "treatments" natch). Instead I was more interested to see if it would work as a light morning product since I concentrate the bulk of my skincare at night (I was using Retin-A with jojoba/tea tree oil at night during this trial). I tested it for a week.
Next Up: Marcelle Micellar Water
Application Tip: If you're willing to give the Andalou a go, I don't recommend spraying it directly on your face. Although it is mild, spraying it all willy-nilly everywhere is crazy. Plus there is something satisfying about using a bit of cotton to wipe-on product while simultaneously wiping-off excess face gunk.
Storage Tip: The darker bottle will help preserve the vitamin C, but you can also also store it in the box it comes in for extra protection. That's what I did, and I stored it like that for a year.
Making Internet Friends Tip: I liked that after picture so much that I used it to test out that Prisma Instagram filter app. I liked the art I made so much that I shared it on the Crappy Candle Facebook page:
I lost a couple of followers that day. I hope my face made someone vomit.
|Andalou Naturals Vitamin C Toner Review - The Acne Experiment|
|All Images © Crappy Candle / The Acne Experiment|